Many factors go into the cremation costs you are quoted and prices can vary widely from state-to-state, city-to-city, and even from provider-to-provider within your own local area. Shopping around can yield big results since the exact portfolio of services you choose will play a big part in determining the overall price. For example, a full funeral with the body present will cost more than one with an urn on display since embalming will likely be required.
A simple cremation with no service is often referred to as a direct cremation. With a direct cremation, there is no memorial service or funeral. The deceased is transported directly to the crematorium. After completion, the cremains will be returned to the family. This type of cremation is the most economical.
Traditional cremation, on the other hand, typically refers to a cremation that includes a memorial service or funeral (body is present). Like direct cremation, the cost for the actual cremation costs will be included but the price you are quoted will also include the memorial service or funeral. It is more difficult to come up with a general cost estimate for a traditional cremation because you have many options when it comes to the type of service you have. For example, if you plan to have a funeral along with the cremation, you may be required to purchase embalming.
Questions to Ask About Cremation Costs
When shopping for cremation services make sure that you are comparing apples-to-apples. Providers may refer to services differently and packages may not include the same options. Some key questions to ask about the quote you receive include:
- Is the price for a direct cremation or a traditional cremation?
- What is included in the price? For example, are transportation services included? What other extras are required?
- Is the cremation container included?
- Is the final resting place for ashes included?
- Does the price include the crematory fees?
- Are state and local taxes included?
- Is a memorial service included? If so, what elements of the service are included?