If you have entered into a preneed funeral or burial contract, you need to carefully review the applicable terms.
- Is it flexible?
- Can you change the products and services?
- What happens if you move and want the funeral held in another city?
- Can it be transferred to another funeral director?
- What if the merchandise you have selected is no longer available at the time of the funeral?
- To what extent is the price guaranteed?
- Can the contract be canceled?
Whether you have prepaid or not, the terms of your contract will govern whether you can make changes. Prefunding with a funeral trust or funeral insurance generally offers greater flexibility to make changes than if you make payments directly to your provider.
For more on funeral planning: Check out our Wise Planning System