Pet Loss Resources
The internet is rich with pet loss resources to help you cope with pet loss. We have gathered some authoritative and popular websites that may be of help. These sites have a variety of materials to help you manage your grief. Your veterinarian is also a great place to turn for help navigating the difficult process of grieving for your pet.
We have also provided a listing of telephone hotlines designed to respond to calls for help. Many of these are located at the veterinary schools of large national universities. If you find a link that no longer works or you have a suggestion for a site we should include, just let us know.
Pet Loss Resources: Web Sites
- Pet-Loss: www.pet-loss.net
- Association for Pet Loss and Bereavement: http://www.aplb.org/
- Rainbow Bridge: http://www.rainbowbridge.com/
Pet Loss Resources: Phone Support
If you are struggling with the grief that comes with pet loss there are many resources on which to call. Below are some of the most popular national hotlines. The operating hours of these hotlines vary so we suggest you consult their website or call for more information. There may also be local phone support resources in your area that can help.
- ASPCA Grief Counseling: 212-876-7700 ext. 4355
- Chicago Veterinary Medical Association: 630-325-1231, 630-325-1600 (Helpline)
- Colorado State University: 970-491-1242, 970-491-4143
- Cornell University, Pet Loss Support Hotline: 607-253-3932
- Iams Pet Loss Support Center: 888-332-7738 (Toll-Free)
- Iowa State University Pet-Loss Support Hotline: 888-478-7574 (Toll-Free)
- Louisiana State University Best Friend Gone Project: 225-578-9547
- Lap of Love Hotline: (855) 955-568
- University of Illinois CARE Help Line: 877-394-2273 (Toll-Free), 217-244-2273
- Michigan State University College of Veterinary Medicine: 517-432-2696
- University of California, Davis, School of Veterinary Medicine, Pet Loss Support Hotline: 800- 565-1526
- Tufts University Pet Loss Support Hotline: 508-839-7966
- Pet Loss and Human Bereavement Education Program, Ohio State University College of Veterinary Medicine: 614-292-1823
- The University of Florida at Gainesville, College of Veterinary Medicine: 904-392-4700, ext. 4080
- University of Illinois CARE Help Line: 217-244-2273
- University of Minnesota: 612-624-4747
- University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia: 215-898-4529
- University of Tennessee College of Veterinary Medicine: 865-755-8839
- Virginia-Maryland Regional College of Veterinary Medicine: 540-231-8038
When it comes to making donations to organizations dedicated to the welfare of animals, you have many options. Below are some reputable national charities. If you are making a donation in memory of a deceased pet you may want to consider one of these.
- American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA): https://www.aspca.org/
- Humane Society of the United States: www.hsus.org
- PetSmart Charities: www.petsmartcharities.org
- Animal Shelter: www.animalshelter.org
- Best Friends Animal Society: http://bestfriends.org/
If you are suffering from the loss of a pet it is important to remember that grief does not operate under a specific timetable and it is unique to each individual. For some, relief comes quickly. For others, it takes a long time to heal. If you are concerned about the way you or a loved one is feeling or behaving, don’t hesitate to reach out for help. There are many groups and professionals who are eager to help to work through your difficulties.