Effective Date: January 5, 2016
Funeralwise.com, owned and operated by Funeralwise, LLC, (collectively, “We”, “Us” or “Our”), is committed to protecting your privacy on our web site https://www.funeralwise.com/. We believe the best protection we can offer is to put you in control of your personal information. By reading this Privacy Notice you’ll learn about our policies regarding collection and use of personal information in our possession. It will help you determine what information you are comfortable providing to us. It also describes the choices available to you regarding the use of, your access to, and how to update and correct your personal information. We want to earn your trust. Supplying us with certain personal information enables us to make Funeralwise.com a more valuable resource for you.
The TRUSTe program covers only information that is collected through this web site, https://www.funeralwise.com/ and does not cover information that may be collected through software downloaded from the website. In order to view our relationship with TRUSTe please visit the validation page visible by clicking on the TRUSTe seal.
Information You Give Us
- You are free to access any of our informational content without giving us any personal information. This includes our content on funeral planning, funeral customs, funeral etiquette, grief, and our funeral guide. It also includes our forums and blogs.
- You may use our “Quick Plan” without providing any personal information, however, you must register with us to use our full-featured Advanced Plan . Registering involves creating an account. We require your first name, e-mail address and a password. This enables us to save your funeral plans, protect them from unauthorized access, and allows you to retrieve them at your convenience.
- Your e-mail address gives us a non-intrusive way to contact you regarding your funeral plans. If you wish to subscribe to our newsletter(s), we will use your name and email address to send the newsletter to you. Out of respect for your privacy, you may choose to stop receiving our newsletter or marketing emails by following the unsubscribe instructions included in these emails or you can contact us here.
- By providing us your personal information you can use our online funeral planner (The Advanced Plan), which involves recording your funeral preferences and choices. You can complete a basic funeral plan without supplying any personal identification beyond your registration information. If you choose to create a comprehensive plan, you’ll be recording more extensive personal information as well as information about family, friends and other contacts. You are in total control of how much of this information you provide.
- We save the information you include when you voluntarily contact us by e-mail, regular mail or by telephone. Also, we retain data submitted when you fill-out any online forms.
- If you choose to use a “Plan Guardian,” we will ask you for your guardian’s name, relationship to you and email address. We will automatically send your proposed guardian a one-time email inviting him or her to accept the guardianship. Funeralwise.com stores this information for the purpose of sending a one-time email and keeping a record of the guardian. Your guardian may contact us to request that we remove their information from our database. We allow you the ability to send a plan to family members, caretakers or whomever you would like to have a copy. The email address is only used to send a one-time copy of a plan and is not stored.
Information We Automatically Collect
Technologies such as: cookies, beacons, tags and scripts are used by Funeralwise, LLC and our affiliates, and providers of site analytic and site optimization services. These technologies are used in tracking affiliated sales, analyzing trends, administering the site, tracking users’ movements around the site and to gather demographic information about our user base as a whole. We may receive reports based on the use of these technologies by these companies on an individual as well as aggregated basis.
As is true of most web sites, we gather certain information automatically and store it in log files. This information may include internet protocol (IP) addresses, browser type, internet service provider (ISP), referring/exit pages, operating system, date/time stamp, and/or clickstream data. We do not link this automatically collected data to other information we collect about you.
We use Local Storage, such as HTML5, to store content information and preferences. Third Parties, with whom we partner to provide certain features on our site or to display advertising based upon your Web browsing activity, use Flash, LSOs or HTML5 to collect and store information. Various browsers may offer their own management tools for removing HTML5.
To manage Flash LSOs please click here: http://www.macromedia.com/support/documentation/en/flashplayer/help/settings_manager07.html
We partner with a third party to either display advertising on our Web site or to manage our advertising on other sites. Our third party partner may use technologies such as cookies to gather information about your activities on this site and other sites in order to provide you advertising based upon your browsing activities and interests. If you wish to not have this information used for the purpose of serving you interest-based ads, you may opt-out by clicking here. Please note this does not opt you out of being served ads. You will continue to receive generic ads.
Our Notice on Sharing Your Information
We do not share your personal information with any 3rd party — without your explicit authorization or as outlined in this privacy notice. We do not sell your personal information to third parties as well. This is called an “opt-in” notice because you must tell us that it’s okay to share your information. It’s how we put you in control of your privacy. The following exceptions apply:
- We release account and other personal information when we determine, in our sole judgment, that it is necessary to comply with applicable laws, such as to comply with a subpoena or similar legal process, when we believe in good faith that disclosure is necessary to protect our rights, protect your safety or the safety of others, investigate fraud or respond to a government request.
- If Funeralwise.com is involved in a merger, acquisition, or sale of all or a portion of its assets, you will be notified via email and/or a prominent notice on our web site of any change in ownership or uses of your personal information, as well as any choices you may have regarding your personal information.
- We provide our database to parties that we employ to perform certain functions on our behalf. Examples of these functions include payment processing, sending mail, delivering e-mail, maintaining the safety and security of our database, and analyzing data for our business purposes. These agents have access to your information to the extent necessary to perform these tasks but may not use it for other purposes. These companies are authorized to use your personally identifiable information only as necessary to provide these services to us.
- We share aggregate statistical information about our customers, site usage patterns and funeral preferences. However, we do not specifically identify you unless you have given us permission to do so. For example, we will inform advertisers about the number of visitors to our site and how many have seen or clicked on their advertising banner.
- We collect your location-based information for the purpose of searching for funeral homes, cemeteries, cremation services and other funeral providers in your area. We will only share this information with our mapping provider for the sole purpose of providing you this service. You may opt-out of location-based services at any time by editing the setting at the device level or by contacting us here.
The security of your personal information is important to us. We follow generally accepted standards to protect the personal information submitted to us, both during transmission and once we receive it. When you enter personal information on our registration forms or in our online funeral planner, we encrypt the transmission of that information using secure socket layer technology (SSL). We employ independent e-commerce service providers to process transactions in our online store. Credit card details are stored encrypted using AES-256 encryption. They also follow all Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard (PCI-DSS) requirements to ensure the secure handling of credit card information. No method of transmission over the Internet, or method of electronic storage, is 100% secure, however. Therefore, we cannot guarantee its absolute security. If you have any questions about security on our web site, you can contact us here.
User Access and Choice
If your personal information changes, or if you no longer desire our service, you may correct, update, amend, delete/remove, or deactivate it by accessing your account here and making the change on your Manage My Plans page or by emailing our customer support here. We will respond to your request within a reasonable timeframe.
We will retain your information for as long as your account is active or as needed to provide you services. We will retain and use your information as necessary to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, and enforce our agreements.
Links to Other Sites
Our website maintains links to 3rd party sites that offer products or additional information that may be of interest to you. When you click on one of these links you are entering another website for which we have no control. Therefore, these privacy policies do not apply once you enter another website. Please refer to the privacy policies posted on any linked sites for information about their practices.
Our web site offers publicly accessible blogs or community forums. You should be aware that any information you provide in these areas may be read, collected, and used by others who access them. To request removal of your personal information from our blog or community forum, contact us here. In some cases, we may not be able to remove your personal information, in which case we will let you know if we are unable to do so and why.
Social Media Widgets
Our web site includes social media features, such as the Facebook Like button and widgets, such as the ShareThis button or interactive mini-programs that run on our site. These features may collect your IP address, which page you are visiting on our site, and may set a cookie to enable the feature to function properly. Social media features and widgets are either hosted by a third party or hosted directly on our web site. Your interactions with these features are governed by the privacy notice of the company providing it.
Rights We Reserve
We reserve the right to contact you concerning your account and your funeral plans whenever we determine, in our sole judgement, that it is appropriate or necessary to do so. Also, we reserve the right to change our privacy policies by posting any changes in this Privacy Notice. If we make any material changes we will notify you by email or by means of a notice on this site prior to the change becoming effective. We encourage you to periodically review this page for the latest information on our privacy practices.
If you have any questions about our policies, go to Contact Us to send your inquiry. We will attempt to respond within 3 business days.
601 Elmwood Avenue
Wilmette IL 60091