Cremation burial at cemetery

bshepherd1
6 years ago

I am planning my fathers cremation burial and have questions about cemetery fees.  He will be cremated and buried on top of his twin brothers casket.  Is it common to have these 3 fees?

Second Right of Interment (which I understand this fee)

Initial Fee for Interment (why)

Final Interment/Entombment/Inurnment Fee (why)

Seems like all 3 are the same.

Jennifer Lane
6 years ago

The fee for the 2nd Right of Interment is a standard charge because the purchase of the original grave space only has one interment right. (Which is just the right to inter 1 person.) So, this one is fine and it is not at all related to the fees for the burial.

As for the other two – there is typically just one fee for the burial. This is the actual labor charge of burying the cremated remains. I do not know why there is an “initial” AND a “final” – it’s generally just one charge.   The burial involves opening the grave (digging the hole for cremated remains) and closing the grave (filling the hole in with dirt and either replacing the sod or planting grass seed.)  The only thing I can think of is that they separated the charge for the “opening” (initial) from the “closing (final).  That’s an odd thing to do in my experience as it is usually one charge for “opening & closing” (which is also known as interment).

I would ask the cemetery to explain why there are two fees for the actual burial.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
View More Cemetery Questions Questions Fees for Cremation Burial

How Much Will Your Funeral Cost? Try Our QuickPlan to Find Out.