Funeral Etiquette with 2nd Marriage

lrcam
5 years, 8 months ago

My ex wife and I have been divorced for 23 years recently our daughter passed. I am married to my current wife of ten years. Should she attend the funeral and where should she sit?

Jennifer Lane
5 years, 8 months ago

I am very sorry for the loss of your daughter, and I know this is a tough time for you and your family.

I don’t know the nature of the relationship between you, your current wife, and your ex-wife – but since the divorce was so long ago and your current marriage is also well established, I would say your wife should attend the funeral.

As for where she sits, if not next to you, then behind you. You are a grieving father and entitled to have your wife by your side, but then your ex-wife is also a grieving mother, and her feelings must be considered. If you know of any reason why she would be upset by having your wife next to you – then it is best to have her behind you.

Broken families can make for difficult funerals, but ultimately you and your ex-wife will need to decide what is the best way to honor your daughter with the seating at her funeral.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
View More Family Issues Questions Should the ex-wife's husband attend funeral of 1st husband?

How Much Will Your Funeral Cost? Try Our QuickPlan to Find Out.