How do I formally welcome guests to a funeral?

sy1153
10 years, 2 months ago

I have been asked to do the “welcoming” at a funeral for this Friday on the 17th of January. I have never heard of this or seen it done. Could you please advise me of the proper wording I should use at the start of the service. Thank you. Sharon

Jenny Mertes
10 years, 2 months ago

Sharon, the welcoming speech at a funeral or memorial service is simply a few opening remarks to welcome those attending and state why you have gathered. You are setting the tone for the remainder of the service, but you are not giving the main eulogy.

For example, you might start out like this: “I would like to welcome you to this celebration of the life of (NAME), who (passed, entered into rest, went to be with his beloved wife Glenda, went to be with his Savior) on (date). (Name) was a dear friend of mine, and I am very honored to be here today as we remember him and reflect on his life.”

If you have a few more words to add before introducing the next speaker or element of the service (if you’ve been asked to do so), that is fine. I would recommend you write out what you plan to say and ask the person who asked you to speak to review it, to be sure your welcome speech will fit in with the service they have planned.

We would love to hear how the experience turns out for you. Thank you for joining the conversation at Funeralwise.com!

-Jenny

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
View More Funeral Planning Issues Questions Funeral Planning

How Much Will Your Funeral Cost? Try Our QuickPlan to Find Out.