Who to call if elderly parent dies in sleep at home?

4 years ago

Who needs to be called if an elderly parent dies in their sleep at home? Do we need to call the police? And who removes the body?

Jennifer Lane
4 years ago

Generally, you would call the person’s doctor who will need to officially pronounce the death for the death certificate, or contact the on-call nurse with hospice if under hospice care. Then you would contact a funeral home to come and remove the body.

You only need to call the police if the death at home was due to unknown circumstances or unattended.

For additional information see our page about what to do when someone dies.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
View More Funeral Planning Issues Questions

How Much Will Your Funeral Cost? Try Our QuickPlan to Find Out.