Transportation Business

peaceful
3 years, 8 months ago

I would like info. on starting my own business for First Call Responders. I worked for a company for about a year picking up and transporting the deceased. I really enjoyed helping the families in their time of need. How do I approach funeral homes about contracting with them to pick up? How do I figure what to charge them. With over four thousand funeral homes around my area, the competition for this business is very small. Thank You for you’re reply.

Bryant Schroder

Jennifer Lane
3 years, 8 months ago

Hi Bryant,

Sounds like you need a business plan – which in addition to determining your pricing, also involves some market research and as well as the value of the service you will provide and how you stack up against any competitors.

It sounds like with your past experience, you have a great story to tell to get your foot in the door with a local funeral home (I’d pick one that is family-owned to start with, as the corporate-owned firms typically have little ability to decide who they contract with for services.)

See if you can get a meeting to let them know who you are, maybe find out what the firm finds lacking in their current transport service and how you can fill that gap. You’ll have to do some research on pricing – perhaps check several of the area’s funeral home’s General Price List to see what they charge the family for “Transportation of Remains to Funeral Home” – that might be a good place to start.

There is also a book on Amazon that might be helpful (we haven’t read it, so this isn’t a recommendation). You’ll find the link to that book in the answer we gave a while back to a similar question in our Forums: https://www.funeralwise.com/forums/topic/permits-need-mortuary-transportation/

I hope that helps – and good luck!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
View More funeral industry Questions

How Much Will Your Funeral Cost? Try Our QuickPlan to Find Out.