Welcome to your source for everything you need to know about funeral planning. Whether you want to create a basic funeral plan or plan all aspects of your funeral, we have advice and tools to help you from start to finish.
Do You Need to Make Funeral Arrangements Now?
If you need to make arrangements for someone who has recently died or for whom death is imminent, visit our funeral arrangements page for step-by-step guidance.
Here you’ll find:
- Explanations of the steps involved in planning a funeral
- Easy-to-use funeral planning tools and planning forms
- The pros/cons of preplanning and prepaying a funeral
- Tips on managing funeral costs
- Advice on how to plan meaningful funeral services.
See How To Take Charge of Your Funeral Plans With Our Wise Planning System
Funeral Planning Your Way
Our 3-Step Wise Planning System is a comprehensive do-it-yourself funeral planning tool that helps you plan your funeral the right way–YOUR WAY.
- Our Wise Planning System will put you in control of your funeral plans. This proven method allows you to create and maintain funeral plans your way. Our unique 3-step online funeral planning system will guide you through the process step-by-step. The Quick Plan is the first step and a great way to jump start your funeral planning since you can create a basic funeral plan in just a few minutes.
Start Your Quick Plan Now!
- For those who would like to get started by putting funeral plans on paper, our Funeral Planning Form is the perfect place to start. This handy funeral planning checklist will help you compile all the information you need.
Get started with a basic plan. It’s quick and easy.
Don’t forget to save your plan!
- Create a basic plan in minutes, including the most important selections.
- Get an instant cost estimate for your funeral plan.
- Get full access to more advanced funeral planning features.
- Don’t forget to save your Quick Plan!
Build on your Quick Plan to create a more complete funeral plan. Work at your convenience.
- Plan at your convenience, update or modify your plan at any time.
- Add plans for family members, including your spouse, parents or children.
- Assign Plan Guardians to carry out your wishes.
- Share your plan with family members and your legal advisors.
- Select funeral providers and products.
- Create your biography and share your legacy.
- Already have a plan?
Plan for your final expenses and safeguard your family's assets.
- Manage your funeral costs with our interactive pricing tool.
- Get advice from experts.
- Evaluate funeral products and services.
- Explore funeral payment options such as preneed funeral contracts, funeral trusts, and funeral insurance.
Planning Tips and Advice
- When to Plan Ahead: The best time to plan ahead for a funeral is any time except at the time of the funeral. After all, you wouldn’t try to plan a wedding in just a few days. A funeral is the ultimate celebration of your life. Planning ahead will give you the opportunity to decide what you want, how you want it, and when you want it. Best of all, you aren’t locked in. If you change your mind, just update your plan. Check out our article on Funeral Preplanning
- Funding Pre-planned Funerals: Deciding whether or not to fund your pre-planned funeral in advance can be confusing. There are a lot of good reasons to consider prefunding your funeral. You’ll rest easy knowing the money is there when it’s needed, the burden will be taken off those you leave behind, and you can lock in prices.
- Changing Funeral Contracts: Be sure to carefully check ALL the terms of your pre-need funeral contract before signing it. Some contracts allow for changes down the road while others do not.
- Prepaying Considerations: Like just about everything in life, there are advantages and disadvantages to prepaying for funeral goods and services. Whether or not it’s right for you will depend on your circumstances. You want to be certain that the arrangement you enter into will suit your needs down the road. Carefully read over all terms and conditions, including the fine print.
- For detailed planning of funeral or memorial services, you’ll find excellent advice in Funeral Ceremonies, and tips for writing Eulogies and Obituaries.
- Green Pre-Planning: Green burial is a relatively new option but it is becoming increasingly more popular. Pre-planning is the perfect time to investigate your options. Visit our Green Pre-Planning and Green burial sections so that you can be sure to explore all the options available to you.
Facts on Funeral Costs
There are many elements that go into the cost of a funeral. From the services provided by the funeral director to the casket to the flowers, costs continue to rise. Today, the average funeral can easily top $8,000. Leaving behind no mechanism to pay for these items can place a heavy financial burden on your loved ones.
So how do you know how much to set aside and how to control the cost? The best way to manage your funeral costs is to do some advanced planning. Our Wise Planning System can provide you with instant cost estimates and guide you step-by-step through the process of making cost effective selections.
Our section on Funeral Costs will help you understand just what goes into the cost of a funeral and some of the financial and legal issues you need to consider.
Video: Funeral Planning Your Way
Find out the best time for planning a funeral and how to safeguard your family from the pitfalls of making your funeral arrangements. Watch our short video.
The Types of Funerals People are Choosing
Thousands of people have used our free online planning tools where we guide you step-by-step in making a few key choices about the kind of funeral you want as well as what that type of funeral usually costs. Below is a sample of the choices people are making so you can see you have lots of options to choose from.